Wangari ‘s Trees of Peace: A True Story from Africa

“Wangari’s Trees of Peace: A True Story from Africa” written and illustrated by Jeanette Winter is book make for an age group of 9-11. The book is about this woman named Wangari who lived in a small village in Kenya. She harvested the crops and shined in school which gave her a scholarship. 6 years later when she came back to Kenya from collage she realized that the forest was fully chopped down. She thought of planting trees again so that it would turn into a forest again. She thought that planting trees would make Kenya a better place for people. The government wasn’t to excited though. They thought it they would need trained men for it to work. Soon later every woman in Kenya started planting trees too. But the cutting still continued since that was what the government wanted but Wangari didn’t agree so they put her in jail since she kept planting trees. Wangari might have been stopped but the trees didn’t. They grow and now there where millions of trees when there were none a few years ago thanks to her and all the other women. Something I liked about the book is the illustration since it looked really bubbly. One text to self connection I made about the book is when Wangari was mad at the government. I was also mad at the government of America when Donald trump made racist laws. Another Connection I made was when she was again disagreeing with the government. Once I was reading this book and it was about this man who went undercover since his store was just sued by the government. That was a text to text connection. In conclusion, I liked this book and I enjoyed reading it.